20 Surreal Drawing Prompts
Who doesn’t love surrealism? I think every other kid in my freshman drawing class at RISD emulated Salvador Dali’s style in their assignments – it was sort of comical. But obviously he made a strong impression on many budding artists.
Some of my favorite contemporary art pieces are surreal in nature, so I thought it would be a great idea to come up with some cool surreal drawing prompts for my fellow surrealism fans.
If you like these and want to brainstorm your own surreal drawing prompts afterwards, this is a good read by artist Kari Lilt on how she comes up with surrealist art ideas.
- A human walking down a sidewalk, melting into it
- A rabbit with human fingers for ears
- A face morphing into a forest
- Someone breaking through a curtain of water
- Zoo animals on tall, skinny legs with wheels
- Looking out through a house window into outer space
- An egg cracking open to reveal an eye
- Cars with wings driving on a road that abruptly bends 90 degrees down
- Lamps growing outside in a garden plot
- Giant eyeglasses as windows to an aquarium
- A human with antlers for arms and a spiral for their bottom half
- A child ice skating in the clouds
- A human holding their head, with a mirror where their head used to be
- Animals walking on the ground that is actually a human lying on their side
- Sailboats sailing across a large bed
- Someone holding a house as an umbrella
- Hands sitting on chairs having a dinner party where human heads are the bowls on the table
- Cross section of the earth where each level is a different level of a home
- Many birds inside of a trench coat, making the shape of a human wearing the coat
- A man with a beard that is all plants and insects
As always, tag me @artmakespeople on Instagram or Facebook and show me your creations!
Download a pdf of these surreal drawing prompts by clicking the image below:
New in the Shop!
Download this mega-bundle of 16 color charts and wheels (plus 3 bonus vintage color wheels).
Use acrylics, watercolors, colored pencils, crayons, markers, pens, oil pastels, or any other art supply to swatch, mix, test, and track all of your colors!